Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

REVIEW: Christmas Eve @ Shaw Premiere at Nex

Merry Christmas everyone! (:

Somehow, Christmas eve always seems alot more special than Christmas day itself. That's true at least for me. Maybe it's because of the gifts we are anticipating or that it just seems like a day in which something special could possibly happen. It seems like only yesterday that I was at Disneyland in Florida watching the fireworks go off in the shape of Mickey Mouse! ^^ MAGICAL... But that's a story for another time.

This year, the boy and I decided to pamper ourselves with a night at 

Shaw Premiere @ NEX for the Les Miserables sneak preview 

which I've been waiting so eagerly for ever since I heard Anne Hathaway and Hugh Jackman were going to be singing in it. The Les Mis review will come a little later to do justice to this film (:

Starting from the dedicated queue (or non-queue) to collect the shiny silver Premiere tickets, the service at Shaw Premiere was impeccable!

SHINY SHINY TICKETS

I really loved how there was a special entrance into the theatres through a lounge, and the butler service that came along with it. Throw in the fresh, clean blankets and the leather reclining chairs in the theatre, and all I can say is that it was an experience fit for a Queen. Only issue was that the ground staff at the first level didn't seem to know how to answer my questions for Shaw Premiere. We made it up to the Premiere lounge anyway, where my issues could be resolved, thankfully, and I started feeling like a Queen.

Specifically, I chose the Sparkling Christmas Set because I reasoned that the Premiere tickets were going to cost close to $30 per person and all decent restaurant fare would be overpriced on Christmas Eve anyway.

From Shaw online
We started with a glass of white wine and some salmon appetizers! Reclining on my leather seat and munching made the usual pre-screening advertisements so enjoyable I momentarily forgot which movie I was watching. 

Sorry, super bad lighting!

After which, we got them to serve our main course, a dish of turkey (or chicken?) with mushy beans and sweet potato. That was a little too much like baby food for our liking :\

Towards the end of the movie, a dessert of Christmas pudding and Oreo ice-cream came. We both hated the Christmas pudding (no fault of Shaw's; it's a personal taste) and would have much preferred the entire dish to be Oreo ice-cream. However, even as I was groping in the dark, I could make out the careful plating of the dessert with garnishing of fresh fruit and a thoughtful little Merry X'mas sign on it! 

Besides the food, what I really enjoyed about this Premiere experience was the free flow of warm water! ^^ It sounds like such a minor issue now, but most of us have probably experienced being freezing cold in the middle of the movie; a warm beverage feels absolutely heavenly at that point when we are most vulnerable.

Oh and also, there was a gift which came with this mystery set... which they almost forgot to give us.

Mary Chia Voucher & Bose Projector Alarm Clock
So all in all, the Shaw Premiere experience was wonderful because of the impeccable service, blankets, comfy chairs and privacy (the seats are in pairs). On hindsight, however, the Sparkling Christmas Set was not really value for the price I paid. The bf and I would have liked a choice of appetisers/mains/desserts because not everybody has the same palette and there wasn't alot of information on the food served. Also, it wouldn't hurt to have a free flow of wine as well, as one glass seemed really sad. We might have been better off ordering the ala-carte dishes which seemed pretty affordable. That said, there are other promotions which seem really value-for-money such as the weekday brunch set, so we look forward to returning or trying out similar experiences at other cinemas.

Rating:

Service: 4.5/5
Food:  3/5
Value-for-money (Christmas Set): 2/5


No comments:

Post a Comment